Helpful Resources to Address Specific Concerns
General Health, Family Topics and Resource Sites
- American Psychological Association (APA) Help Center: A wealth of information on many topics from very well respected psychologists from around the country. Check relevant articles in the “Family & Relationships,” “Health & Emotional Wellness,” and “Work & School” interest area sections.
- HelpGuide: How to handle grief after a significant loss.
Anxiety and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA): A comprehensive site for information on all types of anxiety disorders.
- National Center for PTSD: The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides practical information about trauma and how to cope with it. Special sections deal specifically with Veterans’ benefits and programs.
- My HealtheVet: Although this is a site provided by the VA on PTSD, this site has information regarding any type of traumatic incident.
Alcohol, Drugs, Substance Abuse and Other Addictions
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): A comprehensive site for information on drugs, prevention, and treatment issues. Check the “Site Map” link at the bottom of the home page for an overview of what is available on the site and the “Related Web Sites” link toward the bottom of the site index page.
See Publications for information on specific drugs.
Site is also available in Spanish.
- SAMHSA: One of the more comprehensive sites for alcohol and drug information for the general public and for professionals.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIH): Site provides very detailed and research based information on alcohol abuse in the United States.